Thursday, January 8, 2009

What's in a Name?

 

A lot of thought goes into creating the perfect names for characters in great books. Robert Louis Stevenson, in my opinion has always had the best character names: Dr. Jekyll, Long-John Silver, Tom Morgan, Ben Gunn, and my all-time favorite: Israel Hands. In fact, I designed one of my character's name after Israel Hands' name; I came up with Patsy Noose. How they relate I cannot tell you, Patsy Noose's name was inspired by Israel Hands, that's all I can really say. Patsy ended up being my favorite character in that book[S.O.A.P.: A Society Of Angry People]. I even started a book, just about a year ago, about Patsy's background; I just love the guy . One day you'll all be able to read about him and I'll be very happy; he's like the friend you brag about when you're a kid and you're trying to impress girls or something. He's like the Mickey Mantle rookie card you keep in a glass case; the one you dust; the one you Windex. He's special.

There are lot's of Characters that I've created, that are inspired by characters in other books... name-wise, at least. Characteristics usually come from real-life, however, or my very sick imagination. 

Very sick, indeed. I've written about everything from cannibalistic ladies at an old-folks home, to fat men who dress up like chickens and pull out each other's teeth, as part of a "coming-of-age" ritual. The next book will be no different. Milder, but just as disturbing as ever, it will have moments where you'll be terrified. Not because something is going to jump out at you; not at all really. I'm talking about the fear you get when you accidently leave a child at a rest stop, or when you unintentionally set in motion events that lead the people you love the most to certain peril.

I've sidetracked a little... what about names again?

Well, I've come up with a name for the main Character in my new book. I've thought about this name quite a bit recently because it happens to be the name of one of my favorite musicians. This afternoon, I was sitting at a Table in Mojos, eating a Chicken Philly, and enjoying it quite a bit, when this man walked in, whom I recognized. He's not famous or anything, but I knew his name because he frequented the store.  He approached the counter to order and Chip, the owner, asked him his name, but I already knew his name. If my mouth weren't full of Philly deliciousness, and if I were at the counter, I would have said "Mr. Reed, what can I get you?" But Chip asked and he said, "Reed". I really don't know if it's actually his first or last name but I always call him "Mr. Reed" and he doesn't correct me. I don't know if he's being nice, or just trying to avoid an "involved" conversation... it doesn't matter. So, the name "Reed" stuck out to me today. 

Lou Reed, is probably the most influential musician for me, personally. I've thought of naming characters Lou or Lewis in homage for years but have never executed it. But Reed as a first name is sticking out to me now. I knew a guy growing up, first name Reed; nice guy. Reed Lewis would be a total homage; and ridiculous, so I don't think I can do that, but it's a nice name for sure. I could even make it Reed Louis... it doesn't look right, but then it'd be an homage to both Lou Reed and Robert Louis Stevenson.

I don't know why I'm reminded, but my Dad was looking through my CDs when I was on my mission, and I remember him telling me that he was a little shocked to see the Album covers on my Lou Reed CDs. He told me that Lou looked a lot like my grandfather, almost exactly like he remembered his father at least; he said it scared him a little. My Grandfather died when my Dad was sixteen [I think]. I never met him before but it was an affectionate thought, when my Dad wrote that to me. You know, that he still thought about his Dad from time-to-time. It made me think that you never really forget about the people you love, even after they're gone. I know that from first hand, but it was nice to hear it from my Dad even though he didn't really say it.   

1 comment:

  1. "cannibalistic ladies at an old-folks home" ...um, I kind of want to read that one.

    I like the name Reed Lewis, and if you spell it Louis maybe that could be his middle name and you just give him a last name. But Reed Lewis is good and I don't think it would be too ridiculous

    ReplyDelete